Agriculture Canada - 5 Interesting Facts
Recently I had a chance to visit Canada on a working visit. I visited several farms in the province of Manitoba.
I will give 5 interesting facts that impressed me in Canada from the point of view of agriculture.
- Canada is a large-scale country. Today in Canada there are about 229,000 farms (for comparison, in Ukraine - 43 000, but Canada is 17 times larger than Ukraine). The fields are large, flat. The technique is powerful, widescreen. The average Canadian farmer cultivates 1,800 hectare.
- Canada has developed beef cattle breeding. Every fourth Canadian farmer grows cattle for meat. Over 50% of Canadian beef is exported. The result is a clean (300 grams) bill in a restaurant in Toronto will cost you 30-50 Canadian dollars (we can assume that the Canadian dollar is equal to the USD).
- Each Canadian farmer has his own elevator. Almost every farmer has silos next to the house. Most often, these are several silos on a conical bottom. Moreover, in the farm elevator you will not see either sub-silo galleries or over-silo overpasses. All this has been successfully replaced by portable auger conveyors.
- Expensive agricultural land. On average, 1 hectare of Canadian agricultural land costs from $ 4,000 up to $ 8,000.
- Maple Syrup. Canada exports $ 150 million maple syrup per year. And in order to get 1 liter of maple syrup, you need to collect and evaporate about 40 liters of maple juice. Only certified specialists can collect maple juice and evaporate maple juice in maple syrup. Thanks to this, a high level of quality and price is kept.
Please visit our Farming articles directory.
Agriculture Canada news
In Manitoba, Farmers Race to Save Cattle From Canada's Drought
In Manitoba, Farmers Race to Save Cattle From Canada's Drought The New York Times
Connecting More Homes and Businesses in Middlesex and Lambton Counties to Broadband
Connecting More Homes and Businesses in Middlesex and Lambton Counties to Broadband Government of Ontario News
Daybreak August 4: Conservation groups, Trump vet call for conservation increase
Daybreak August 4: Conservation groups, Trump vet call for conservation increase Agri-Pulse